• Athenry in 1889

    Source:Tuam Herald-12-10-1889 Athenry, as you approach it from over the railway bridge, presents a curious, quaint, and picturesque appearance. Save a few scattered hovels, which are outside, all the houses on this approach are behind the ruins of the old ...
    0
  • Athenry-Christmas Shopping in 1953

    Take A Look At Its Well Stocked Shops Source: Connacht Tribune, 05.12.1953, page 27 Let us make a tour of the shops in Athenry and see what can be bought there. It is only fair to our advertisers that we ...
    0
  • Athenry Business and Enterprise Development Plan (1997)

    Report by Tom Carr Source; ADC’s Publication-The Athenry Journal , No. 8, 1997 In October 1996 John Lane, Joe Barrett, Luke Moran and Tom Carr got together to look at Athenry from an industrial Development/Investment point of view. We are ...
  • ATHENRY IN 1889

    BY VINCENT J. CARLYLE SOURCE: GALWAY EXPRESS, 1ST JUNE 1889 ‘Foolish People’ The present year shows great prospect of a most beautiful harvest and no doubt the surrounding tenantry have everything to hope for, and nothing to fear except their ...
  • ATHENRY (1846)

    SOURCE: Slater’s Commercial Directory of Ireland 1846 Athenry is a small incorporated market and post town and parish, partly in the baronies of Clare, Dunkellin, Kilconnell and Tyaquin, but chiefly in that of Athenry, 121 miles from Dublin and 14 ...
  • Athenry in 1856

    From Slater’s Directory Source: Galway Advertiser 20/1/2000 Slater’s Directory for 1856 has this to say about the town of Athenry: “Athenry is a small incorporated market and post town, partly in the baronies of Clare, Dunkellin, Kilconnell and Tiaquin, but ...
  • The Progress of Athenry (1900)

    Source: Tuam Herald 10th November 1900 Researched by Mary Doherty Athenry is thus described in the “Galway Express”: During the present week our representative paid a visit to the thriving town of Athenry, and was much surprised to notice the ...
  • Athenry in Olden Times

    Source: Tuam Herald, 1915 Athenry was a famous place in the olden times. It was a Parliamentary borough and elected two members to the Irish Parliament. It was a pocket borough in the gift of the Blakeney’s of Abbert, and ...