The Athenry Presbyterian Congregation 1874-1917

Source: A History of Congregations in the Presbyterian Church in Ireland 1610-1982

In 1872 the Presbyterians in and around Athenry in the Presbytery of Athlone asked for a supply of Gospel ordinances. The prayer was granted and the first minister, Mr. Archibald Henderson (lic, Coleraine) was ordained on 25 Sept. 1874. He laboured till 4 Apr. 1876 when he was called to Canada. He later returned to Ireland (Malin, Co. Donegal) in 1878. His successor in Athenry was Mr. Samuel Walker (lic. Monaghan) who was ordained on 17 Sept. 1877, and after a short ministry removed to Donaghadee (Ist) on 25 July 1882.

The Rev. Thomas Henry Burkitt had been a missionary in the Southern Highlands of Donegal for 17 years and was installed here on 4 May 1885. During his stay an iron church was built; also a manse on the same two acre site on the edge of the town. Mr. Burkitt retired on 8 Oct. 1917 and died on 3 Nov. 1922 aged 88 years.

The membership of the congregation had become small. In 1909 there were 25 families. In 1914 there were 19 families and after the troubles of 1916 this was reduced to 11. After Mr. Burkitt’s retirement and the continued political unrest in Ireland there were only 2 of the original families left. There were a few more scattered over a wide area and they were from this time attached to the congregation in Galway.