The Friendly Brothers of St. Patrick
By Mrs. A. M. Fraser

Reproduced by kind permission of The Old Dublin Society

Source: Dublin Historical Record, Vol. 14, No. 2 (Aug., 1956).

TO-DAY the town of Athenry in County Galway is very different from the walled town of long ago where in 1261 a Dominican Monastery was completed and in 1464 a Franciscan Friary was founded by Thomas, Earl of Kildare. In 1577 workmen were employed to repair the ancient walls and fortifications and while engaged on the work two sons of the Earl of Clanricarde and their friends descended on the town, sacked it, destroying the houses which had been recently built. With nowhere to live the homeless
inhabitants drifted away and Athenry was left deserted. It remained in this condition until 1584 when Robert Foyle, John Browne and others of its former inhabitants joining together petitioned the Queen’s Council to allow them to bring over from England artisans and tradesmen to reside in the town and help them to rebuild and improve it and to support a sufficient force for their protection. The request was granted in 1585 but alas in 1596 the Northern Irish descended on the town, burned the Gate, but were repulsed in the attack on the Castle. Unfortunately the wall towers were taken and the men who manned them were taken prisoners. The victors then set fire to the town reducing it to ashes. Once more poor Athenry was left deserted. In 1644 the Dominicans returned and revived their establishment and converted it into a University. In 1662 Charles the Second again granted to the town and its Corporation their ancient rights, and the Borough returned two Members to the Irish Parliament up
to the Act of Union. Do you wonder that the inhabitants were dour and bitter? The generations had seen their town plundered and burned and their nearest and dearest slaughtered.

Foundation .- Early in the 17th century a number of thoughtful men viewed with grave concern the outlook of the inhabitants and decided to band together ” to promote friendship and benevolence amongst all men and with this view inculcating and encouraging loyalty between man and man to put down the barbarous practice of duelling.” At this period in history the slightest dispute was settled by duelling. In England in 1613 James I had to issue a proclamation to prohibit it, while on the Continent drastic steps were taken to suppress it too, and Ireland being not one whit behind in the appalling practice the band of men in Athenry decided it was most necessary to include the abolition of duelling along with mutual aid in the objects of the Society they were forming. This little band founded an Order, the scope and name of which is set out in the First of their ” Fundamental Laws, Statutes, and Constitutions “
published in 1763 :-

” I. The ancient and most benevolent ORDER of the FRIENDLY BROTHERS, consisteth of an unlimited Number of Members, distinguished by the Word FRIENDLY inserted between their Christian and Sirnames : who, in honour of Ireland, where this ORDER was first instituted, and hath long flourished, have put themselves under the Patronage of St. Patrick; and are therefore styled THE FRIENDLY BROTHERS OF SAINT PATRICK.” There were only two degrees in the Order according to the second of the “Laws”

” II. This ORDER is divided into two classes. One comprehending all the Members of the ORDER, styled the REGULAR FRIENDLY BROTHERS. The other consisting of such Regulars, as for their well tried Fidelity, and Friendship, have been initiated into the grand and solemn Mysteries of the ORDER, and are styled THE APPROVED, AND PERFECT FRIENDLY BROTHERS: who from thenceforth, become Member of all Knots in the Universe.” The basis and scheme of organisation, the officers, government and insignia of the Order, the qualifications necessary for membership as well as the rights, privileges and duties of its members are laid down in the following ” Fundamental Laws”:-

” III. The Assemblies of the Brethren are called KNOTS: signifying the indissoluble Tie of Love, and Friendship, wherewith they are mutually bound. And they either Principal Knots, or Marching Knots, or Subordinate Knots : which all centre in the GENERAL GRAND KNOT, and SELECT GRAND KNOT.

“IV. The Principal of this ORDER, who is annually elective out of the approved, and perfect-friendly Brothers, in all public Acts of the ORDER, is styled His Benevolence the Grand President of the Ancient and most Benevolent ORDER of the Friendly Brothers. He is, during his Office, to use the Word FRIENDLY, instead of his Sirname: and hath the Privilege of presiding in any Knot which he honours with his Presence. He is constantly to reside in the Kingdom of Ireland: And if he should at any time, without the Consent, and Approbation of the GENERAL GRAND KNOT, absent himself from IRELAND above six Months; his Office is thereby vacated, and the ORDER may proceed to a new Election.”

” VI. The Legislative Power of this ORDER is lodged in the GENERAL GRAND KNOT, which is composed of all REGULAR, and PERFECT FRIENDLY BROTHERS, wherein the GRAND PRESIDENT of the ORDER, or his VICE-PRESIDENT, by him specially authorised, shall preside : But in case it shall happen, that neither the GRAND PRESIDENT, nor his VICE-PRESIDENT shall be able to attend: In such Case, the
Senior who has served in the Office of GRAND PRESIDENT, or in case no such shall be present; then the Senior PERFECT present shall open the GENERAL GRAND KNOT, and proceed to do the Business thereof. Here, the GRAND PRESIDENT, with the Approbation of the GENERAL GRAND KNOT, hath Power, by Patent, to constitute new Knots in any Part of the Universe. The Presidents of which new created Knots, shall be called the PRESIDENT of the Principal Knot of that County, City or Place for which the Patent shall be granted: who also shall be impowered, with the Approbation of the GENERAL GRAND KNOT, to constitute one, or more Knots within his Jurisdiction, which shall be subordinate to the Principal Knot; the President of which shall be called PRESIDENT of the first, second, or third Knot of that Place, according to the Seniority
of their Institution.”

“VII. After the same manner, the GRAND PRESIDENT granteth Patents for holding Marching Knots, in all Parts of the World, by Gentlemen of the Army, which shall be independent of all other Knots, except the GENERAL GRAND KNOT. They shall have all the Powers of a Principal Knot, except, that they shall not have Power to admit any Members into such marching Knots, but Gentlemen of the Army only.”

“IX. Every Principal Knot shall consist of such FRIENDLY BROTHERS, as have been admitted therein, and of all PERFECT BROTHERS whatsoever, together with the Presidents, Secretaries, and Treasurers of the Subordinate Knots within that Jurisdiction. So likewise every subordinate Knot shall consist of such Brothers only, as have been admitted into that subordinate Knot, and of all PERFECT BROTHERS, together with the President, Secretary, Treasurer, and Chaplain of their respective Principal Knot, who shall all be regularly, and duly summoned by the subordinate Knots, taking particular care not to assemble on the same Days with their Principal Knots, except on the seventeenth Day of March, and first Day of May annually, and that five Regular Brothers, at least, be present, before the Knot be opened.”

“XII. THE GRAND PRESIDENT being constantly to reside in the Kingdom of IRELAND, for the better Regulation, and Government of the ORDER diffused through the Universe, shall be impowered, with the Approbation of the GENERAL GRAND KNOT, to appoint one of the APPROVED, and PERFECT FRIENDLY BROTHERS, to preside in each foreign Kingdom, or Principality, who shall be styled, HIS  BENEVOLENCE THE GRAND PRESIDENT of the Kingdom, or Principality in which he resides. And he shall have the same Knots, Councils, Powers, Precedences, and Privileges, that the GRAND PRESIDENT of the ORDER enjoyeth in the Kingdom of IRELAND.”

“XIII. EVERY GRAND PRESIDENT, and PRESIDENT throughout the universe, shall summon, and convene their Knots on the seventeenth Day of March annually, that being the Anniversary Festival of St. PATRICK, the Patron of the ORDER. When all the Members shall appear in the Ensigns of the ORDER, being a golden Medal, on which shall be impressed Saint Patrick’s Cross, fixed in a Heart, over which is a Crown. The whole being set round with an emblematic Knot embellished with Trefoil, or Shamrogue Leaves, and this motto, FIDELIS, ET CONSTANS: implying Fidelity and Constancy in Religion, Loyalty, and Friendship. On the Reverse shall be impressed the Arms of the ORDER. Namely, A Group of Hearts in Fesse, Or, (as an Emblem of the strict Union of the Members of the ORDER,) charged with a celestial Crown of the same, in Chief, in a Field Vert: (the Reward of their Benevolence, and Fidelity.) Round the Shield, an endless Knot, set with Shamrogue Leaves, the Mantling, proper, and two emblematic Dolphins, their Faces downwards, Argent. A Label issuing from their Mouths, with this Motto QUIS SEPARABIT. This Medal shall be worn pendant to a green Ribbon. And for the Crest, on an Helmet, and Wreath of their Colours, a Wolf-Dog standing proper. On the Ribbon of the PERFECT FRIENDLY BROTHERS, the Cross is blazoned in Embroidery, which no REGULAR BROTHER shall at any time presume to wear, under Penalty of perpetual Discontinuance. Every Member of the ORDER is constantly to wear his green Ribbon, and never to be seen without it. If at any time he should; he is to forfeit Two-pence : and if in a Knot, Six-pence.” (a)

The fitness of a candidate for admission to the Order was judged by his character not by his social position, his religious beliefs or the political party to which he belonged. This was a matter of the first importance in Ireland at that time. When a member was admitted he was called a Novice or Cousin and at some later date the Brother who was Found to have fulfilled all the promises he had made to be an agreeable and sound member, became a Perfect Brother. The following ” Fundamental Laws” show that the Founders realised that social reform and individual behaviour are intimately related, and set high standards for the Brothers to observe :-

“XVII. No Person whatsoever shall be admitted into this ORDER, who does not profess himself a CHRISTIAN. Nor shall any Religious, Political, National, or Party Debates be permitted in any Knot. All profane Cursing, Swearing, and Obscenity shall at all times be avoided by The FRIENDLY BROTHERS : And every Member who shall err herein in
any Knot, or in the Presence of a FRIENDLY BROTHER, shall, for every Offence, pay six Pence for the Use of the Poor, as a small Memorial of his Crime.”

“XVIII. If any Member of this ORDER affirmeth any Thing upon the Word of a Friendly he is religiously to tell the Truth. So also, if he imparts a Secret to any Brother, under the Seal of FRIENDLY SECRECY, the same shall not, in any Manner be revealed, without his own proper Consent : Provided such Secret containeth nothing contrary to the Law of God, or of the Land; and that it may be every way lawful to keep the same.”

“XIX. If any Member of this ORDER, findeth a continued FRIENDLY BROTHER of the same in Distress, he is to afford him all lawful Assistance, to the utmost of his Abilities. And herein his own FRIENDLY Conscience is to judge how far he is to extend his Benevolence.”

“XX. No FRIENDLY BROTHER shall affront, or quarrel with a continued Member of the ORDER. But, as the best of Mankind in their unguarded Moments, are subject to Passions ; if any Member of this ORDER, through the Frailty of human Nature, should have the Misfortune so far to forget the Love he owes his Brother, and the Obedience due to these STATUTES, as to proceed to Anger with a continued FRIENDLY BROTHER, and disturb the Peace and Tranquillity of the ORDER: He shall not presume to decide his own Quarrel, according to the Laws of pretended Honour, by the barbarous Practice of DUELLING, unknown to the politest, and bravest Nations; but shall peaceably, and with due Obedience, submit his Differences to the Decision of his Knot, who shall cause the Offender to make sufficient and honourable Atonement for his Error. And the Parties on both Sides shall renew their FRIENDSHIP, and in all Points submit themselves to the FRIENDLY Admonition, and Determination of their Brethren, who shall judge on such Occasions, without Prejudice or Favour.”

The first recorded Meeting of the General Grand Knot was held in Athenry on 17th May 1750 and it was decided that the General Grand Knot should be forever held and convened in the city of Dublin and within the Liberties of the same and nowhere else. Since that date 205 years ago a General Grand Knot has always met in Dublin.

With its officers and rules in order the Society began to attract attention and from many towns petitions were made to the General Grand Knot asking for a Patent to open and convene a Knot for their town, the petition had to be signed by 5 or 7 of the men who were anxious to form the Knot. The majority of the Irish Knots were formed during the 18th Century and numbered about seventy-four. In England many of the principal and University cities had their Knots.

Many of the Irish Knots had their own specially engraved or decorated glass, silver and china and in recent years many of these have been collected and brought to the Headquarters at No. 22 St. Stephen’s Green. In the county towns the Knots met in Coffee Houses and Taverns and kept their property in Knot Boxes. These short descriptions of some of them are taken from the works of the late Doctor Percy Kirkpatrick :-

The Cavan Knot opened in 1813, Nathaniel f. Sneyd was appointed first President; he was His Majesty’s Lieutenant and High Sheriff for the County. While walking along Westmoreland Street, Dublin, on the 29th June 1833 he was shot and mortally wounded by a madman, John Mason, and died two days later. In the Crypt of Christ Church Cathedral there is a very handsome monument in white marble erected by public subscription to his memory. It depicts a man dying, while behind stands a weeping woman holding a handkerchief to her face, the figures are in white marble and are the work of Kirk. On a tablet nearby is a very full and eloquent description of his life as husband, friend and citizen.

Carlow Knot in 1908 returned all their records and at a later date forwarded a silver snuff box, silver paten and wine strainer, large silver-mounted corkscrew with ebony handle and ivory inlay, and the sword bearing the following inscription :- “Taken at the memorable battle of Vittoria from an officer of high rank of the Legion of Honour of Bonopart by Lieutenant-Colonel Dudley S. Hill, 8th Caccadores and presented to the Carlow Knot Friendly Brothers of St. Patrick 17th January 1814.”

Kinsale Knot, from 1754 had a vigorous life for many years but shortly after 1860 became dormant. In 1920 General Grand Knot record that they purchased the curious ladder-back presidential chair and some of the glass of the Knot.

Kilkenny preserved and returned 2 volumes of Minutes. The presidential chair is in the Chapter House of the Kilkenny Cathedral.

Co. Kildare Knot. Lord Charles Fitzgerald was admitted 26th August 1776 and Lord Edward Fitzgerald on the 8th October 1783. The Minute Book is bound in red morocco, elaborately tooled with white inlay. On the 12th January 1778 a strange gentleman was admitted to this Knot, he was a Turk from Constantinople, Dr. Achmet Borumborad by name. He was admitted a Novice, but was not allowed to go further, he, ” not professing himself a christian.” This gentleman opened hot and cold sea-water baths on Bachelor’s Walk and received considerable financial support from the Irish Parliament.

Galway Knot. The city was noted for its culture, the families of importance were Roman Catholics of wealth which they earned by trading with Spain and other continental countries. Being a near neighbour of Athenry it is not surprising to find a Knot established there and in the Knot Book are the names of many Roman Catholics as well as Protestants, thereby proving that the Order was undenominational. Twice in the 17th century the town was occupied, in 1652 after a siege it was entered by Cromwell’s army who did not spare what they captured, and again in 1696 when William the third’s troops, under General Ginkel raided and plundered the city. On each of those occasions valuable documents and papers were destroyed and probably important records of the Order which would have proved the correct date of its early origin.

Limerick Knot preserved three volumes of the Minutes and two silver snuff boxes.

Sligo Town Knot preserved the original Patent and the sword of the Knot, inscribed :- “Presented by James Perfect f. Wood of Woodville to the Sligo Friendly Brothers Knot 1839.”

To the principal Knot of County Dublin 1751 Andrew f. Reid, President presented the sword of the Knot, and Thomas f. Newenham, Secretary, presented an embossed silver snuff box.

The minutes of the Principle Knot of the Lordship of Mary’s Abbey in six volumes are preserved. The sword inscribed ” the gift of William friendly St. Leger to the Friendly Brothers of the Principal Knot of the Lordship of Mary’s Abbey Dublin 1789,” is also preserved. (b)

The Principal Knot of the Liberties of Christ Church, the Mary’s Abbey Knot and the County Dublin Knot amalgamated and are now the Dublin Knot. The Principle Knot of the Liberties of Christ Church preserved the following :- Schomberg’s Sword inscribed, ” This sword worn at the Battle of the Boyne by the Duke of Schomberg. The gift of John f. Putland Esq., to the Knot of the Liberties of Christ Church. Anno 1764. Re-embellished 1864.” Mr. Putland lived at Putland House, Great Britain Street. An oval double snuff box in silver, inscribed, “the gift of the President Thomas f. Wray, Esq., to the Principal Knot of the Liberties of Christ Church Dublin 28th November, 1794.” Oval jewelled medallion ” presented to Thomas f. Ball by the members of the Christ Church Knot, to mark indelibly their sincere esteem and the high sense they entertain of his unceasing exertions as their President, Dublin 23rd May 1825.” In the Lady Chapel of St. Patrick’s Cathedral there is a monument erected to his memory by the Order.

The Friendly Brothers House.- The General Grand Knot in Dublin had no permanent home therefore on the 17th April 1810 it was resolved that suitable accommodation should be found. It was proposed to buy a house in Molesworth Street but the purchase fell through. Early in 18r1 rooms were rented from the College Green Club at €200 per an. In 1820 the Friendly Brothers moved to 15 Upper Sackville Street where they rented
an entire house and in 1855 they bought the house outright. In November 1884 the Postmaster-General bought this house from the Order and in 1885 they purchased No. 22 St. Stephen’s Green, North. While No. 22 was being re-constructed the Order rented the basement and the lower two storeys of No. 32 St. Stephen’s Green which they rented from the Shelbourne Hotel. No. 22 site was on Lot 19 of St. Stephen’s Green and in the late 18th century was occupied by Henry Petty, Earl of Shelbourne; in 1790 Thomas Lighton took the house from Mary St. Ledger, he threw down the house and on its site built two houses Nos. 21 and 22. In 1798 Sir Thomas Lighton (first baronet) lived in No. 21 until he moved out to Merville, Foster Avenue, where he lived with his family believing that the good mountain air and the good goat’s milk would improve the children’s health. He died in this house in 1805.

You will remember my paper on “The Romance of the House of Lighton ” where I traced the career of a poor soldier in the East India Company to a baronet banker of Old  Dublin. His bank was situated in Foster Place and later became Shaw’s Bank and to-day the premises house the Head Office of the Royal Bank of Ireland. In 1814 Sir Thomas Lighton (2nd baronet) resided in No. 21.

Now, as has often happened in this city, No. 21 was changed to No. 23 and in 1831 F. Prendergast, Registrar of the Court of Chancery, F. Prendergast, junr. barrister, and J. P. Prendergast, barrister, were residing in No. 23. In 1841 Maria Geraldine Lady Mahon, widow of Sir Ross Mahon, baronet, occupied No. 23.

Her husband died here in 1835. Now another shuffling of the numbers and No. 23 became No. 22. In 1861 Robert Adams lived in No. 22. He was a very eminent medical man and was three times President of the College of Surgeons.

In 1885 No. 22 was purchased by the ” Ancient and Most Benevolent Order of the Friendly Brothers of St. Patrick.” The General Grand Knot met for the first time in 22 St. Stephen’s Green, N., on the 17th March, 1886. Inlaid in the floor of the entrance hall is the “KNOT ” in blue in the cream mosaic, the sign of the Friendly Brothers. The house with its well proportioned rooms, lovely stucco ceilings, antique furniture, exquisite silver, glass and china has an atmosphere all its own. You feel that brotherly love and good comradeship dwell there. The Brothers with their charming courtesy make you most welcome.

In a glass case lying in its green sheath lies General Schomberg’s sword, last used at the Battle of the Boyne, while not so far away in St. Patrick’s Cathedral his remains are quietly sleeping till the last trumpet shall sound. Over the grave is Dean Swift’s epitaph “his enemies thought more of his courage than those who were nearest (relations) to him.” The Dean wrote and asked the family if they would like to erect a memorial over their ancestor but failing to receive a reply had the plain slab with the Latin inscription erected himself.

At the afternoon service in this Cathedral on St. Patrick’s Day the Order attend, every Brother wearing his green ribbon and badge, thus complying with the rules laid down many years ago.

Now there is one more ceremony of the Order which I have not mentioned which is a unique feature of the Friendly Brothers. The Order occasionally confer upon a distinguished member the title (in the Order) of  “Sir John Friendly.” It is given with due formality and only to a member who has rendered very special and outstanding services to the Order. Only one person can hold that title at a time and during his lifetime he is then addressed by his brother members as “Sir John.” The title has only been held by five persons in the whole history of the Order and its last bearer was Doctor Kirkpatrick on whom it was conferred for his valuable work in recording and preserving the history of the Order. At the same time the members commissioned the President of the Royal Hibernian Academy, Mr. James Sleator to paint the portrait of ” Sir John Friendly ” which now adorns the Dining Room of the House.

When the first Knot of the Friendly Brothers met in the town of Athenry at the cross-roads in Co. Galway so many years ago they little thought just how far-reaching their efforts to promote friendship and benevolence would spread. From far Madras, New South Wales, Malta, Jersey, Gibraltar, Jamaica and Quebec requests for Patents came, and now in 1956 in this city the Order still carries out its principles as of old.