100 years of Serving Athenry and District

Source: Ulster Bank Archive (Thanks to Stephen Fox, Ulster Bank, Athenry)

Beginnings

The Athenry branch first opened as a full branch of Ulster Bank in 1908, but can trace its origins back even earlier to an agency service begun in the 1880s.

Ulster Banking Co. had been established in Belfast in 1836 to improve banking facilities in the north of Ireland. From the outset it determined to open branches in all of Ulster’s principal towns. In 1860 the Bank opened its first branches outside Ulster, at Sligo and Ardee, and in 1862 stole a march on its Belfast rivals by opening an office in Dublin at College Green. The growing Bank was clearly in confident mood-over the next 12 years as it opened a further 24 branches.

The rapid growth of the Bank prompted the adoption of limited liability, as Ulster Bank Ltd, in 1883-a move that both increased the number of its shareholders and better protected their interests. The Bank’s branch network continued to expand spreading into Munster – with the opening of branches in Cork, Waterford and Limerick-and the expanding Belfast suburbs.

Agency and new Branch

In 1874 Ulster Bank had opened a branch in Tuam, which by the 1880s had begun an agency business in Athenry. The agency, renewed from year to year, flourished and by the turn of the century it was clear that a full, permanent branch was merited in Athenry. The new branch opened on 24th August 1908 in leased premises in Cross Street, comprising a small bank office with a yard and garden to the rear.

Growth

Under the management of William George Moore, formerly a cashier at Sligo branch, the business grew and by 1911 the branch had two staff.

In 1917 consolidation in the UK banking sector, combined with the uncertainty created by the political upheaval which followed the Easter Rising, prompted Ulster Bank to seek amalgamation with London County St. Westminster Bank-one of Britain’s largest banks.

The formalities of the merger were quickly agreed. Ulster Bank retained the same name and continued to be run independently by an advisory committee in Belfast.

Three Plots and a Permanent Branch

Between 1914 and 1917 the Bank had negotiated the purchase of three plots of land – Castle plot, Garden plot and Hayes plot – on which to build a permanent branch facing the Square. Building began in 1927 and the new branch opened in 1928. It then had 3 staff and 473 deposit accounts on its books.

During the 1950s Ulster Bank introduced a number of new customer services and products, such as personal loans, greetings cheques, drive-in banking and cash dispensing machines-all innovative concepts in Irish banking. By 1960 one-fifth of Athenry branch’s customers lived in Craughwell, a prosperous farming village five miles to the south, and a weekly attendance from Athenry was begun in early 1961.

Photo: Gerry Ahern
Photo: Gerry Ahern

Modernisation

Athenry branch itself was modernised and extended in 1961-63. In the 1970s and 1980s Ulster Bank underlined its commitment to customer service by adopting ‘the friendly bank’ slogan.

Ulster Bank is proud of its close association with Athenry.

High Quality Service

Today, 100 years after first opening for business, Athenry branch continues to provide a high quality service to the local community from its long-established home on The Square.

Managers down through the years:

  1. G. Moore (1908-1924)
  2. F. Tighe (1924-1941)
  3. Martin H. Glynn (1941-1959)
  4. J. P. O’ Mahony (1959-1961)
  5. J.F. Kinder (1961-1969)
  6. A. F. B. Meehan (1969-1977)
  7. M. Walsh (1977-1996)
  8. S. Cuddy (1996-2001)
  9. Helena Brennan (2001-        )

Ulster Bank, Athenry from the Newspapers

Tuam Herald August 29 1906

The Ulster Bank

On Monday the Ulster Bank opened its new and spacious premises in Athenry.  For over 50 years the Tuam Branch, under the efficient and courteous management of Mr. James Carry, held a weekly office, but the growing business of the institution obliged the company to open as they have now done a permanent office.  They widely entrusted the management to Mr. Moore who was so popular in Sligo and his able and courteous assistant is Mr. Carry son of the Tuam Manager and sure, like his father, to be equally liked.  The business is sure in such capable hands as Mr. Moore’s to grow in importance and volume.

 Saturday Sept 17th 1927                                   

Ulster Bank Premises                        

The new premises of the Ulster Bank, which are being erected at the Square, Athenry are now nearing completion and it is expected that they will be opened in the course of a month.

February 4 1928

Ulster Bank Limited           

Notice is hereby given that the business of the Bank in ATHENRY, hitherto carried on in premises at Cross Street, has now been transferred to new and spacious premises at The Cross in the town.

By order,

For Ulster Bank, Limited,

John Graham, Secretary.

New Bank premises

The new Ulster Bank building in Athenry, which is a fine structure, was opened on Monday, when the manager and his staff moved into possession.  Mr. Deane, who was engineer in charge of the building, left Athenry on Monday, and a tribute to his popularity was the large crowd that saw him off at the station.  At the outset of the building operations Mr. Deane had labour trouble to contend with, but his tactful manner in dealing with such difficulties was always successful, and for the greater part of the time the relations between employer and labourer were of the best.