Source: 1846: Slater’s National Commercial Directory of Ireland

Athenry is a small incorporated market and post town and parish, partly in the baronies of Clare, Dunkellin, Kilconnell, and Tyaquin, but chiefly in that of Athenry, 121 miles w. by s. from Dublin and 14 E. from Galway. This place, anciently called ‘Athneri,’ is said to have derived its name from Ath-na-Raigh, ‘the King’s Ford,’ or ‘ the abode of a king.’ Sir James Ware considers it to have been the chief town of the Anteri; and at a remote period it was surrounded by walls, with round towers fifty yards apart, which indicate it to have been a place of considerable importance. The ruins of the walls and towers, together with a castle called the ‘King’s Court,’ as it is considered to have been the residence of one of the provincial kings, and which was a building of great defence, are still to be seen. The ruin of a Dominican abbey here, from its antiquity and style of architecture, is the admiration of all strangers. It was founded by Myler De Bermingham, second baron of Athenry, in 1241, and was dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul. A Franciscan friary was also founded here by the Earl of Kildare, in 1464. In 1577 the two sons of the Earl of Clanricarde, renouncing their submission to Elizabeth, assembled their partisans, and succeeded in reducing the town to a state of complete ruin. In this state it continued till the year 1584, when it was to a great extent rebuilt; but in 1596 the northern Irish invested it, and again it was reduced to ashes. From this time, though it had formerly held a second rank in the county, it never recovered its ancient importance. The Dominican friars who, under the protection of the O’Dalys’ of Caronakelly, took up their abode at Esker, about three miles from the town, still continue to flourish there. They have built a very neat chapel, and are about completing a college and agricultural school for the education of young gentlemen. There are also national schools there, wherein eight hundred of the children of the poor are daily educated, one hundred of which are provided with food. In a house of industry here, twenty-four boys are instructed and apprenticed to trades. The town is situated in the midst of a tolerably fruitful soil, though there is a considerable quantity of un-reclaimed bog in the neighbourhood. The houses and shops are poor and the streets are narrow and unpaved. The magistrates regulate the affairs of the town, for which purpose they hold a petty sessions once a week.

The places of worship are a church, a remarkably neat building, and a Roman Catholic chapel, a plain slated edifice. There is a constabulary police barrack, a dispensary, and a national school. A chalybeate spring here is much resorted to. The market, entitled to be held on Tuesday, is not observed, and the fairs (which are but poorly attended) are May 5th, July 2nd, and October 20th. The parish contained, in 1841, 4,192 inhabitants, and the town 1,256 of that number.

POST OFFICE, Neptune Persse, Post Master .- Letters from all parts arrive (from CRAUGHWELL) every forenoon at a quarter before eleven, and are despatched thereto every afternoon at a quarter past two.

GENTRY AND CLERGY.

Bateman Thomas G. Esq. Ivy Lodge
Blake Peter, Esq. J. P. Holly Park
Bodkin John D. Esq. Bingarra
Braddish Mr. John, Ballinacraig
Browne Mr. Barthlw. S. Athenry
Browne Lieut. Mercer, Gloves
Burke Edmund, Esq. J. P. Tyaquin
Burke Mr. James, Moor Park
Burke Mr. Lambert, Tyaquin
Callogy Rev. Michael, Esker Convent
Clarke James, Esq. J.P. Graig Abbey
Cruise Mr. Richard, Cressaun Grove
Cullinan Rev. Daniel, P. P. Athenry
Cullinan Mr. John, Mount Brown
Fitzpatrick Rev. Wm. Esker Convent
Healy Rev. Daniel, C. C. Athenry
Kelly William, Esq. J. P. Rockville
Kinneen James, Esq. Carton House
Kinneen Mr. Michael, Boy hill
Lambert Walter, Esq. J. P. Castlelampert
Lambert Walter, Esg. J. P. Castle-Ellen
Lawless Rev. John, D. D. Esker
Lopdell John, Esq. J. P. Prospect House
Loughlan Mark; Esq. Gloves
M’Hanly Mr. Michael, Athenry
Madden Mr. James, Carronakelly
Madden Rev. John, Esker Convent
Mahon Major Thomas, Belville
Perrin Rev. Mark, Castle Turvin
Persse Burton, Esq. D. L. & J. P. Moyode Castle
Smyth Mr. Lawrence, Caherfinischa
Smyth the Very Rev. Peter D. D.D. Esker Convent
Smyth Mr. William, Church Park
Taylor John, Esq. Mulpit

PROFESSIONAL PERSONS.

Barrett James, land agent
Lopdell John, barrister, Prospect House
M’Calanan Lawrence, surgeon
Tully John, master of national school

INNS AND PUBLIC HOUSES.

Barrett Margaret, Hotel (and posting house)
Cannon Matthias
Dunleavy John
Holleran John
Whealan John

SHOPKEEPERS & TRADERS.

Barrett Margaret, Hotel (and posting house)grocer and draper
Burke John, grocer and draper
Cahill Patrick, butcher
Collins Michael, provision dealer
Connolly Bartley, grocer
Culkeen Daniel, car maker
Faby James, clothier and dyer
Grealey Patrick, draper & stationer
Hynes John, chair maker
Kelly Bryan, nail maker
Kenneday James, gunsmith
Kilroy Eliza, provision dealer
McKigue John, boot & shoe maker
Mahon Patrick, carpenter
Public Institutions, &c.

CONSTABULARY BARRACK-Charles Ramsey, chief constable
DISPENSARY-Lawrence McCalman. medical attendant
DOMINICAN CONVENT, Esker-The Very Rev. Peter D. Smyth, D. D. superior.
SESSIONS HOUSE-Henry Mackey, clerk; Margaret Mackey, keeper.
STAMP OFFICE-John P. Cooney, distributer.
CONVEYANCES, The nearest conveyance is from CRAUGWELL, four miles distant.