Source: FAS Scheme
Both the college and Newford were owned at one time by the Goodbody’s. Although the Goodbody’s owned Newford House, the Kennedy’s (relations to Monsie) looked after the house in Newford. Newford House was destroyed by fire in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s. It was rebuilt, but it was never the same as the original building.
The Department of Agriculture took over in 1904, and the original college dates back to 1870. The old Agricultural College was situated close to where the White House building (as it is called) now stands. It was a long building with a galvanised roof. There were 24 students attending the college in the earlier years.
he Somers family came to work in the College in 1906, James Somers worked in the College in 1907, and he lived in Newford House. He worked as a herdsman in the College.
LIFE IN THE COLLEGE
In days gone by, extra people were hired to work on the land especially during the summer months and these men were known as ‘Swallows’. They earned 29 shillings per week (€1.45) and usually worked from 7a.m. in the morning to 7p.m. in the evening.
During the 1930’s, there were approximately 30 students attending the College. The Vets who attended the College were Tommy Kelly from Raheen and his nephew Derek Kennedy occasionally helped. The water was supplied from the well in the College.
Crops and stock were sold to the fairs. At one stage there were 18 working horses in the College. The horses were looked after by James Dobbyn and trained by a man called Mr. Robinson. These horses were used to deliver the milk from the College to the various shops around the town.
The families of the working men were also entitled to a milk supply (at a lower price).
In the 1920’s and ’30’s there were up to forty men on the farm, and each morning, these men used to congregate when the bell in the bell tower of the College was rung. The farm steward them gave these men their chores for the day.
There is also a lot of history attached to the College and Newford – especially during the war years
On the 15th January 1943, top Army American officials who were attending a conference in Spain. had to make a crash landing in one of the College fields.
In the period from 1939 – ’45, the Department of Agriculture donated plots to the St. Vincent de Paul, to enable the poorer sections of the community to grow vegetables. These fields were in Ballygurrane and are still known as allotments.
During the 1916 Rising men used the college as a hiding place, hence the name Mellowes College. In 1920 – ’21 the Black ‘n Tans held their camp in Newford and the field was called the ‘Canteen’ field as a result of this.
Gort na hAbhann was the biggest field owned by the College, the College owned 690 acres (inc woods). The bridge in Gort na hAbhann is under a preservation order as it is of a unique structure, and of historical interest
The first ball alley in Athenry was at the back of Newford house and this was used in the mid or late 1800’s.
The new college was built in 1966 and was renamed Mellowes College and Newford House was divided in two, when two families of the Somers’ came to live there, the house was occupied until recently.
Some of the Superintendents in the College through the years were :-
Mr Prendergast (1922 )
Mr. Hasset
Richard Collins
Dermot Kelleher
Andy O’Connor
- B. Ruane
Sean Ward
Austin Cunney
Peter Seery
Frank Laffey – present Superintendent
Around the 1930’s there was a Matron called Ms. Boike. The present Matron is Ms. Marion Kearney who succeeded Ms O’Callaghan

