Grand Juries were introduced as part of the administrative system in Ireland after the Anglo-Norman invasion (1169-1172). They became the primary organ of local government in the counties of Ireland. The High Sheriff was responsible for nominating a jury of between 12 and 23  men from amongst the leading property owners in each county. The sheriff was the king’s or queen’s principal administrative and judicial representative in the county.

One function of the grand jury was to rule on the validity of indictments at the twice yearly assizes held in each county. Only then could the case go to trial. From 1634 the grand jury was empowered to levy a local tax (cess) to pay for the upkeep of roads and bridges and for other public purposes in the county.  These taxing powers were gradually extended to to cover items such as the building and maintenance of jails and courthouses and the establishment of county infirmaries, lunatic asylums and fever hospitals.

Lack of accountability with the system led to reforms being introduced in the earlier part of the nineteenth  century. These included allowing cess-payers a limited role in authorising expenditure.

Since grand jury membership remained the preserve of landlords, they never enjoyed popular support. In 1898 they were relieved of their administrative functions and were replaced by County Councils. However they retained their role in criminal proceedings. They were finally abolished in 1948.