By Canon Tony King P.P.
(Parish Priest Of Athenry 1993-2013)

Photo: Gerry Ahern
Considerable work was carried out by a Fas Scheme on the environs of Lady’s Well in 1987-9. The wall surrounding the Well was built and the Statue of Our Lady in the Well was brought from Knock Shrine. This arrangement was negotiated by Msgr.Michael Mooney. P.P. with Msgr James Horan, P. P of Knock. Maintenance and upkeep and improvements in this area are carried out each year by the Lady’s Well Committee.
The tradition is that Our Lady appeared to a wounded soldier in this place on August 15th 1249 after the Battle of Athenry. It is also very likely that the new Priory built in Athenry by the Dominicans in 1241 promoted the Marian devotion.
Lady’s Well is a popular place of prayer and devotion throughout the year and the main pilgrimage takes place on August 15th. A large gathering comes together from the whole area on that day each year it is a gathering time for families and relatives from abroad and also muintir na Gaeltacht.
In 1932, the year of the Eucharistic Congress, the Calvary was erected and in 1954, the Marian Year, the Grotto was put in place at the Well. The celebration of Mass as part of the pilgrimage began in 1972.
Tradition tells the story that a Marian apparition took place here on 15th August 1249 after the Battle of Athenry. An account in the Annals of Iar Connacht record that a battle took place. The Normans within the town requested the Irish not to attack and to honour the feast-day. However, the Irish made an attack and they were defeated.
Our Lady’s Well in 1959. Photo: Kathleen Corbett
In this vicinity of Lady’s Well tradition preserves for us the legend that Our Lady appeared to a wounded soldier as he was being carried away from the battle-field. It is also very likely that the new Priory built in Athenry by the Dominicans in 1241 promoted the Marian devotion.
Lady’s Well is a very popular place of pilgrimage throughout the year. The main pilgrimage takes place on August 15th and for the past 750 years people gather from Athenry parish and the surrounding areas agus muintir na Gaeltachta. Many return home on holidays to meet at “The Well” to be with their families and to keep contact with old friends.
The waters of the Well remind us that our pilgrim journey begins at Baptism. The tree that shadows the setting is a symbol of the Christian call to grow in holiness by raising our hearts to God and reaching out our hands to care for people.
The Celtic Pieta
It dates from the 14th century and is set in the outer wall of the Well. The Mother holds the body of the dead Christ – not cradled in her arms as in the continental style – but in an almost upright position against her body. Signs of considerable damage are due to erosion and the tradition that it was defaced by Cromwellian soldiers.
The Headache Stone
This large rectangular stone with the cavity in the centre was a socket for a medieval cross. There is a strong tradition of personal healing associated with this stone.
The Calvary
In 1932, the year of the Eucharistic Congress, the Calvary was erected.
The Grotto
It was put in place in 1954 to mark the Marian Year.
The Millennium Park

Photo: Gerry Ahern
To mark JUBILEE 2000, the MillenniumPark was developed. This imaginative design is in the form of a Celtic Cross. The tradition of the Celtic Cross – the Cross placed against the Sun – is a unique symbol of the harmonious transition from pagan worship to Christianity in Ireland.
This Park leading into Lady’s Well is a place of reflection and peace. As we begin a new century, a time of change and transition, people will find in this beautiful setting a place of rest and harmony to reflect on our Christian heritage and find the energy to face the future with confidence.
The Sculpture
This 81” high Sculpture in Kilkenny Limestone is the centre-piece of the MillenniumPark. It embraces a broad symbolism – the tradition of Our Lady and the soldier after the Battle of Athenry.
Here too, we find the image of RETURN and ATONEMENT. The “Home-coming” of some one estranged from family and community to give expression to the desire for forgiveness, confirmation and unity.
Conversely, the Sculpture might also be seen as a DEPARTURE, a commission to go forth and evangelise in the great Irish tradition of mission. A reminder of the people, priests and religious who left the parish down the centuries bringing with them their culture and faith. A missionary image and a tribute to the Irish Diaspora; or simply to suggest the beginning of a journey, appropriate at the start of the new millennium. A call to make a fresh beginning, full of hope.
At another level, the Sculpture can be viewed simply as an image of human (romantic) LOVE and through this a reference to St. Paul’s mystical marriage of Christ and his Bride, the Church.
The Lady’s Well Millennium Park and Sculpture were officially opened by Tommie Quinn, Chairman, and blessed on August 15th 1999 by Fr. Tony King P.P. Lady’s Well Committee and helpers are a voluntary group of parishioners who take care of this special place.
Negotiations for this area of ground between the Well and the main road began in October 1990. Finally it was purchased from Eddie & Sarah Madden, Bawnmore, Athenry for the sum of £1,000 and the total cost inclusive of legal fees, etc was £1,300 and this was finalised and paid in 1993 from parish funds, by Fr. Tony King P.P.
How best to use this land by the roadsidgave rise to much debate and discussions. To develop a MillenniumPark instead of a car-park finally was accepted. A Fas Scheme built the boundary walls around the plot and the stone came from Cross St. from Coffey Construction who were building was is presently the Castlegate Hotel.
The plan for the Park was drafted by Radharc Landscaping – Brian White, Farnablake.Work was carried out by a Fas Scheme as also the stone work on the banks of the river. The Sculpture was carved by Ken Thompson, Cork and cost £26,000.
Opening of the Park in 1999
Considerable work was also done by members of the Well Committee – Tommie Quinn, Ned Waldron, Paddy Mitchell, Michael Glynn and other volunteers to be ready for the official opening on August 15th. 1999.
The welcome address was given by Tommie Quinn, Caheroyan, Chairman of the Well Committee; the cutting of tape was done by Monsie Kennedy, Swangate, Secretary, and the unveiling of the Sculpture by Brighid Cannon, Cullairbawn – Youth Choir Director. The MillenniumPark and Sculpture was blessed by Fr. Tony King P.P.
A booklet was printed sketching a brief history of the Well was available for the opening.
Further developments-the planting of trees and shrubs-took place during 2000 –2001. Liscannor stone was used for dressing the walls. An altar was built in the Well area. Information Plaques were designed and erected under the new chairman, Martin King, Ard Aoibhinn. On-going maintenance and up-keep continues each year by a voluntary committee.
Finances for the Millennium Park.
Galway Co. Council contributed an amenity grant of £2,500. A Night at the Dogs in Galway was organised by Seamus Cullinane, Raheen and his committee and raised £26,348.50; Michael Whelan, native of Cross St., and former chairman of Bord Failte donated £25,000. Galway Rural Development gave grants of £23,000, and £14,600 was raised by a parish collection. At present, there is a reserve fund of £25,000. The annual income from contributions people give to the donation boxes at the Well in £2,000 approx. annually.


