Source: Rev. Ambrose Coleman (1902)

 

 

 

 

THE

ANCIENT DOMINICAN FOUNDATIONS

IN

IRELAND

AN APPENDIX TO O’HEYNE’S ” EPILOGUS CHRONOLOGICUS “

BY

REV. AMBROSE COLEMAN, O.P., M.R.I.A.

INTERSPERSED WITH WHICH ARE BIOGRAPHICAL NOTICES

 OF THE MORE EMINENT DOMINICAN FATHERS

MENTIONED BY O’HEYNE

AND OTHER EXPLANATORY NOTES

DUNDALK

PRINTED BY WILLIAM TEMPEST.

1902.

 

Athenry Abbey

Regestum Monasterii Fratrum Proedicatorum de Athenry

From an old manuscript, preserved in the British Museum, entitled Regestum Monasterii Fratrum Proedicatorum de Athenry (Sloane MSS., 4784, p. 43, no. 4.), we are able to gather more detailed and interesting information than is available for almost any other abbey in Ireland. It contains particulars of the founder, benefactors and donations as well as obits of the friars and great men, and incidentally throws light on the life led in the abbey in those times. It consists of twenty-three closely written folio pages, and was probably compiled in 1619, by the fathers in Athenry for Sir James Ware, from old documents, annals and obit lists belonging to the abbey, which at the time were still in their possession.

We attribute the compilation of this account to 1619 from the fact that Dr. Burke discovered a similar compilation made in the same year by three of the fathers there (See Hib. Dom. p. 228), and also because the information regarding St. Saviour’s, Limerick, was written about the same time.

The following account of the abbey, up to the time of the suppression, is taken entirely from this manuscript, with the exception of the papal briefs.

The Berminghams, barons of Athenry, were the great benefactors of the abbey in the early times, and Meyler de Bermingham, second baron of Athenry, founded the abbey in 1241, under the invocation of SS. Peter and Paul, buying the site from Robert Braynach [Walsh] for 160 marks, and giving another 160 marks towards the building, besides gifts of wine, English cloth, and horses for drawing the stones. He also induced his knights and soldiers to contribute to the work, each according to his ability. The work must have progressed very quickly, as a provincial chapter was held in the abbey in 1242, only a year after the foundation.

Phelim O’Conor, King of Connaught and founder of our abbey at Roscommon, built the refectory; the dormitory was erected by Eugene O’Heyne, the chapter-house by Cornelius O’Kelly, the cloister by Walter Husgard, the infirmary by Arthur Mac Gallyly and the great guest-house by Bernard OTrarasay [?] and his wife. Rodolph Hallatune gave the altar in the chapel of the Blessed Virgin. Florence Mac Flynn, archbishop of Tuam, who died in 1256, was a great benefactor to the friars. He built a ” house o scholars ” for them (probably a theological school) and left behind him wise rules for the management of it. They had a friend too in Thomas O’Kelly, bishop of Clonfert, who was buried in the abbey in 1263. Besides other benefactions he built the vault near the north side of the high altar.

The abbey soon became a favourite place of burial for the principal families in the country round about. Meyler de Bermingham, the founder, who died in 1252 near Cashel, was buried here. Such was the attachment of that family to the abbey, that when one of them, Thomas, had died and was buried in Trim, his remains were afterwards exhumed and carried to Athenry. Such too were the feelings of the burgesses of Athenry. A certain David Wedir, of Athenry, one of the benefactors of the abbey, had died in Bristol and was buried in the Dominican abbey there. His widow, however, commissioned the lector of Athenry Abbey, Friar Norse, to bring his remains back to Athenry, where she had obsequies celebrated for him for a whole fortnight, attended by Dominicans from Roscommon, Sligo, Strade, Dublin, Lorragh and Portumna, as well as Augustinians and Carmelites. It became also the burial place of the Burkes of Clanricard, and has remained so to the present day.

The Berminghams gave tithes of their possessions for the support of the friars, and this practice was followed by others. Grants of land were made here and there, all of which are carefully recorded.

The benefactors had other means too of showing kindness and giving help. One gave 40 marks for food in a time of scarcity; some used to entertain two or more friars at their table regularly ; others entertained two or more every day during Lent. One Sylina Lynch used to send a barrel of fish and a pipe of wine every Lent and Advent and kept up the custom for more than twenty years. One Nicholas Godsun, a burgess of Athenry, besides giving them tithes, used to keep the twenty-four friars of the abbey in cloaks made of English cloth, while his wife used to keep them in habits of the same material, and this they continued doing for more than twenty-two years. They also had four friars at dinner during Lent and two for the rest of the year.

Gifts of chalices, brass candlesticks, candles for the midnight office of matins, a crucifix, a statue of St. Dominic, and a silk cappa for the cantor, worth sixteen marks, are also recorded for this period. Mac a Wallayd [? Mac Walter] de Bermingham built the chapel of the Blessed Virgin up to the sills of the windows, about the end of the thirteenth century. It was finished by William Wallace, who left 140 marks and a pipe of wine for keeping the windows in repair. The latter also made the campanile as far as the roof of the church. After his death, in the beginning of the first pestilence, in 1344, his widow remained till her death in the infirmary and got the eastern portion of it tiled. This fact, as recorded, would lead us to infer that the infirmary was for externs, and not exclusively for the friars.

Thomas Bovanter, who gave twenty pounds sterling ad opera monasterii, besides a missal and chalice and other gifts, was buried under the altar of St. Peter Martyr, O.P., in 1413. William Canus de Burgh, who gave 100 marks towards building the facade of the church and also lengthened the choir by twenty feet, was buried under the pulpit from which the gospel used to be read. Other benefactions are recorded in the old manuscript which would take too long to record.

  1. Thomas, bishop of Lismore, acknowledges to have received from Friar H., of the Friars Preachers of Athenry, 30 marks collected for the Crusade by himself and his brethren in their district, from the time they received the Commission till July 29, 1266. Theiner, p. 109. This is one of fourteen documents relative to the Crusade money, which the prior and community of the Dominicans of Dublin had in their safe keeping, and which they transcribed and sent on Jan. 23, 1275, to John, bishop of Clonfert, nuncio of the Apostolic See in Ireland. Idem, pp. 107-9.

That the prosperity of the friars excited envy is not to be wondered at. This came to a head in 1297, when the friars felt called on to defend themselves and did so successfully. The following summary of their case will be of interest :

  1. The archbishop of Tuam and his archdeacon were summoned at the suit of the friars of Athenry, for libellous and injurious treatment. The archdeacon, it appears, in Athenry, Galway, Clare and other places, had made a public prohibition against giving food or other alms to the friars, or even selling anything to them or receiving them into their houses, and had also forbidden the people to attend their church under grave penalties. The archbishop pleaded, on his part, that he had never acted with hostility against the friars, but had always defended their interests, and promised to make the archdeacon revoke his words in presence of the chapter. 28 Edw. I, b, 274, p. 24. King MSS.

The following pontifical briefs show how the abbey was held in esteem by the Popes :

  1. Boniface IX. granted an indulgence to all the faithful, obtainable on several festival days throughout the year, who should pay a pious visit to the church and give some alms towards the preservation of the fabric. Hib. Dom. p. 230.

1423. Martin V. granted an indulgence of a similar kind, owing to the church and abbey having lately been consumed by an accidental fire. Idem, p. 231.

1427.The same pontiff granted the friars of Athenry facilities to found two other houses of the order, as, according to their petition, there was a want in Ireland at the time of preachers who could instruct the people in the Word of God. Idem.

1445. Eugenius IV. renewed the indulgence granted by his predecessor, Martin V., on the occasion of the accidental fire which had destroyed church and abbey. In this brief it is mentioned that the friars of Athenry were generally about thirty in number.

A determined and successful effort was made in the fifteenth century to rebuild the abbey and church after the fire. A long account of benefactions for the purpose is recorded in the old manu- script, from which we cull the following :

William Butler and Agnes Bovanter, his wife, gave twenty marks/ besides buying a beautiful picture in Flanders for the church, for forty marks. Nicholas O ‘Kearney gave twenty marks and a good silk chasuble. The widow of David Wedir glazed the large window behind the high altar and all the windows in the choir, the work costing her more than a hundred marks. She also built a stone bridge over a stream leading to the town. John Reed furnished a crucifix, a statue of the Blessed Virgin, and one of St. John the Evangelist, at a cost of thirty marks, besides providing a tabernacle for the altar. Walter Lynch, of Galway, who used to entertain the friars whenever they went thither, gave two gold chalices with silvergilt patens. He also gave a stone altar and made several new windows in the wall near it. Johanna Kelly gave a gilt ciborium and a new gradual.

 

Father Maurice y mochan Morral, the first Provincial of the Irish Province, erected in 1484, built a small chapel in honour of St. Catherine of Siena.

Gifts of land are also recorded, as well as a donation of sixty cows from Richard Burke. Vestments, chalices, books, candlesticks and candles are among the minor benefactions, Thomas Bermingham, baron of Athenry, and Anabella, his wife, gave three silver marks towards the building of the church-organ and repaired the rooms of the English bachelors of theology. They also, at the provincial chapter of 1482, held in the abbey, entertained twice on the same day the 280 friars who were present and their servants, and did the same good work at the chapter of 1491, also held in the abbey, besides giving the priors, on the latter occasion, twenty pence each. Richard Burke, at the provincial chapter of 1524, entertained thrice the 360 friars who were present at it, as well as their servants.

At the time of the Suppression of the monasteries in Ireland, the friars of Athenry petitioned not to be suppressed and their petition was granted :

1541 (218) ” Anthony Sentleger.

” Memorandum that the 7th daie of July, in the XXXIII year of the most prosperous reyne of our moost dread and sovereigne lord, King henry the eight, by ye grace of God, King of England, Ireland and Ffrance, defender of the faith, and in earth, supreme hed under God moost worthie, of the church of England and Ireland. In consideration that the monasterie or house of ffriars of Athenrie is situated amongst the Irishry and that by the dissolution thereof, our saide sovereign lord shoulde have lyttle or no profit, and being not surveyed by any of the king’s commissioners, by reason the same so standeth amongst dissobeysence. And for that also that Adam Coppynger, now custos of the same, intendeth to be respondent for the keaping of divine service and mayntenance of good hospitalitie there, it is condiscended and agreed by the Lorde Deputie and others of the kyng’s mooste honorable consaill, whose names be thereto subscribed, that the saide house of ffriars shall stand without dissolucion. And that the said Adam Copynger and his combrethren, changing their habit and wedes of a ffriar into a secular habit, shall have and continue the name of custos of that place or house, until suche tyme as our saide sovraine lorde the kyng’s majesty shall determine the contrary, if his highness’ pleasure so shall be” etc.-Record Office, Dublin.

This is a plain avowal of Henry’s sordid motives!

Even after this, benefactions were made, and in 1555 Thomas Mac Shane Mac Richard Burke gave the friars a semi-quarter of arable land in Cahirnamone.

1574. April 25. Lease under the commissioners to, Thomas Lewes of the site of the monastery of St. Dominic, or house of Friars Preachers of Athenry in Connaught, etc. Fiants, Eliz.

1574. July 8. Grant to the provost and burgesses of Athenry, co. Gal way, of the site of the monastery of St. Dominic, or house of Friars Preachers of Athenrie, a water-mill, twelve cottages and land in Athenry, land in Ballydane and Glue, and the chapel of Tollabane, in Connaught. Fiants, Eliz.

A short historical account of the fortunes of the Athenry community, during the seventeenth century, was written in 1736, by Father Edmund Burke, an alumnus of that house, where he made his solemn profession in 1683. As for several of his statements he quotes Dr. Dominic Burke, O.P., bishop of Elphin, who received the Dominican habit in the same house, in 1641, its authenticity is beyond doubt, with the single exception, we think, of the statement that there were only four Dominicans surviving in Ireland at the end of Elizabeth’s reign. It appears from this account, that Father Ross Mageoghegan, the Provincial, and some other fathers petitioned Ulick Burke, earl of Clanrickard, for some place to dwell in near their old abbey of Athenry. He gave them a wood in an unfrequented place between two lakes, called Coilascail (or Brosk), where they erected a small convent and began to receive novices. After being established there for some years, they began courses of the classics and of philosophy and theology and were able to introduce Regular Observance.

Driven from their retreat by the Cromwellians, they returned at the Restoration and approached the successor of the earl of Clanrickard about their convent. He generously gave them as a free gift the wood and adjoining land, on the sole condition that they should offer three masses annually for himself and family. The fathers, thereupon, settled down, and began as formerly to receive novices. In 1678, they opened their school on a much larger scale, and it became so famous in a short time that students flocked to it from every part of the kingdom, several of these afterwards became bishops and other ecclesiastical dignitaries, and others made a mark in the professions of the law and of medicine. The students were scattered here and there in the wood and adjoining country, living in small batches, each batch under the direction of a tutor, in little wooden huts constructed by themselves, their food and clothing being sent to them by their friends. In the morning they all came together in an open space in the wood for lessons and dispersed again to their huts when the work of the day was over. The school was begun and ended with prayer, the Rosary of the Blessed Virgin being always recited before the students dispersed in the evening.

This school was broken up for a few years, during the persecution consequent on the ” Popish Plot,” but was resumed in 1683, the year in which the author of this account received the habit of the Order in this very place. He tells us that there were at least one hundred of his name, Burke, in the school at the same time. The school had to be closed in 1691, owing to the Jacobite war in Ireland, and the confiscation of the Clanrickard property was followed by the eviction of the fathers from their place of refuge. Father Burke’s manuscript is preserved in the archives of St. Clement’s, Rome.

From the provincial records and other evidence, it is probable that the Dominican Order was always represented in Athenry in unbroken succession from olden times. In 1619, there was at least one very old father attached to it, who may have been received into the Order before the dissolution of the monastery in Elizabeth’s time. It is curious, however, that it is not mentioned three years later in the Provincial’s report. In 1629, there were five fathers here, two of them very old, as well as two young clerics and a laybrother. In 1644, it was ordered by the provincial chapter that it should be made into a general house of studies, but this project fell through owing to the Cromwellian war. In 1669, a provincial chapter was held here.

In 1685, the old abbey was again recovered, but the fathers did not hold it long, as they all shared the general exile in 1698, and it was never afterwards in their possession. In Molyneux’s ‘Journey through Connaught’, he speaks of Sir T. Montgomery having part of his house made out of a wing of the old abbey. Archdall (p. 276) says: “The ruins which remain of this priory prove it to have been a sumptuous building. Part of it was taken down, to erect in its room the present barracks, and the cloisters probably stood where the barrack-yard is now. The whole was well built of a blue- coloured stone ; the tower, for half its height, is larger below than above. There were here numbers of mausoleums, but the soldiers have erased them all, and with their fragments the church is nearly covered.”

In the old Rosary Confraternity Book of Esker, there is written a contemporary account of the events affecting the fathers of the Athenry community, from 1697 till 1712. It appears that two of the fathers, on account of their advanced years, were exempted from the general exile of 1698, but they soon succumbed, and, after their death, Father Anthony Mac Hugo, who had remained concealed all along with a laybrother, was the only representative of the community till three fathers returned from Spain, in 1707. After a short time some other fathers returned from Louvain, the community was formed again, and the friars, after trying here and there in vain for a place to settle in permanently, were able to rent a solitary spot in Esker, between two lakes, from Mr. Denis Daly, of Carrumakelly, where they built a small cabin. Some novices were received here, but in 1715, an accidental fire having destroyed their poor dwelling, they moved to Esker na pay (of the cows), three miles from the old abbey of Athenry, where they built a better house. Their poverty at this period may be gauged from the fact that in 1723 they were obliged to sell seven of their old silver chalices. In 1753, their house, having been badly built from the first, tumbled down, but was soon replaced by another. A large community lived there during the greater part of the eighteenth century. In 1723, it numbered nine fathers, and in 1767, the number had risen to twelve.

In the Lords’ Committee Returns of 1731, it is stated that there is “another [friary] belonging to Athenry, whose number is reputed to be about twenty. But they have lately removed their habitation to a Wood about two miles from the town, where they now have their house.”

In 1826, poor schools were built by Father Peter Smyth, afterwards Provincial, for three hundred children, and in 1847, he opened a college for the sons of the gentry. The college flourished for only a short time, as the gentry in the West of Ireland became impoverished by the great famine.

In 1850, there were six fathers attached to the community, and in 1859 Regular Observance was introduced and the house was made a noviciate.

In 1895, the place not being then considered suitable to the needs of the Order in Ireland, was given over church, convent, college and schools to the bishop of the diocese, and from him it passed to the Redemptorists in 1901.

The Dominican Order, to the great regret of the people, thus severed its connection with Athenry, after having been represented there without a break for 654 years.

The chapel of St. Mary of Kilcorban, which O’Heyne (p. 171) places among the possessions of Athenry abbey, was given, according to the brief of Eugenius IV., in 1444, to the brethren and sisters of the Third Order of St. Dominic, living in the locality at the time, by Thomas de Burgo, bishop of Clonfert with consent of his chapter, at the request of John Fitz Rery [Rury] and the friars of the same Order. Ware: Antiquities. The apostolic brief confirmed this donation. The place lies four miles west of Portumna, on the road to Loughrea. Of the chapel itself very little remains, but the lady-chapel which runs out from the side wall is very well preserved and is the place of sepulture of the Nugent family, who live at Pallas, two miles off.

There are three wooden statues, belonging in former years to this chapel, which are still held in great veneration by the people. They are the statue of Our Blessed Lady, referred to by O’Heyne (p. 259), a statue of St Peter, and another of St. Paul, all about two feet in height. In O’Heyne’s time, the statue of the Blessed Virgin, and perhaps the others were in the keeping of the Burkes of Pallas. Within recent years, they are preserved under lock and key in the sacristy of the parish church and are exposed for veneration only on the feast of St. Laurence, the patron saint of the parish. The people have always shown the greatest devotion to these statues. It is not improbable that they belonged in ancient times to the abbey of Athenry, at least, the statues of SS. Peter and Paul, the patron saints of that abbey.